Protect Your Oral Health with a Tooth Extraction
An infected, damaged, or loose tooth can severely affect your ability to eat and speak. If left untreated, your symptoms can worsen and eventually affect your overall health. Dr. Keith Kelley can perform a tooth extraction to help you find relief from your painful symptoms. Additionally, he can perform wisdom tooth removal and extractions prior to orthodontic treatment. We want your extraction at our Troy, MI, office to be as comfortable as possible. In addition to blankets and pillows, we can help you relax during treatment with oral conscious sedation.
Is an Extraction Necessary?
There are several reasons why you might need a tooth extraction:
- Extensive damage: An injury can severely damage a tooth. If a fracture extends to the root, the tooth may need to be extracted.
- Untreatable decay: Severely decayed teeth may not be treatable with root canal therapy and require an extraction.
- Periodontal disease: Advanced gum disease can pose a significant risk to your oral health. Once gum pockets begin to develop, the supportive structures become progressively weakened, eventually leading to loose teeth.
- Wisdom tooth removal: Impacted wisdom teeth can cause swelling, bleeding, and pain. We can perform wisdom tooth extractions conveniently in our office rather than referring you to an oral surgeon.
- Preparing for orthodontic treatment: Your teeth need room to move during orthodontic treatment, such as Invisalign® or FastBraces®. However, sometimes overcrowding can get in the way. Undergoing an extraction can give your teeth the sufficient room they need to shift into proper alignment.
Because nothing looks or feels as lifelike as a natural tooth, we will always try to save your tooth prior to recommending an extraction.
We want your extraction to be as comfortable as possible. In addition to blankets and pillows, we can help you relax during treatment with oral conscious sedation medication.
The Extraction Process
Typically the extraction process entails:
- Planning: We use advanced technology including digital X-rays and 3-D imaging to determine whether an extraction is necessary and precisely plan your procedure.
- Sedation: For patients who are nervous about their extraction or have a particularly complex case, we offer sedation which is administered in a pill form.
- Extraction: In most cases, Dr. Kelley will gently rock the affected tooth back and forth until it becomes loose, then simply lift it from the socket. For complex extractions, he may also need to create an incision in the gums or bone to access the tooth.
- Preservation: Dr. Kelley can perform an alveolar ridge preservation graft. During this procedure, he will pack the empty socket with grafting material to prevent changes in your jawbone structure.
- Restoration: In instances other than wisdom tooth removal, it is highly recommended that you replace your tooth. You can discuss dental implants and other restorative options with Dr. Kelley to help you maintain the function and aesthetics of your smile.
The Benefits of Choosing Our Practice
As a highly trained general dentist, Dr. Kelley can perform tooth extractions, including wisdom tooth removal, as well as restorative treatment, all in our office. This can save you time and money by alleviating the need to visit multiple specialists.
Typically, insurance will cover the cost of an extraction that was necessary due to gum disease, infection, or trauma. Our team can work with your insurance company to simplify the process and maximize your coverage. We also offer flexible financing options for your out-of-pocket expenses.
Call for a Consultation
Whether you need an emergency extraction or are acting now to prevent issues with wisdom teeth or overcrowding, we can help. To find out whether you need an extraction, schedule your consultation by messaging our team online or calling our office at (248) 828-3185.