Porcelain veneers are improving the smiles of many patients at our Troy cosmetic dentistry practice. Read on to find out how Dr. Keith Kelley can use porcelain veneers to restore your teeth and improve your smile.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are used to mask imperfections. A porcelain veneer is essentially a thin, tooth-shaped shell bonded to the front surface of the tooth. The veneer is custom-made in size, shape, and shade. Porcelain is the material of choice as it is strong, long lasting, can be shaded to match the surrounding teeth, or made a brighter shade for gorgeous pearly whites.
What Types of Dental Problems Can Veneers Treat?
Porcelain veneers can repair a number of problems. Some of the most popular uses for veneers are:
- Discoloration: Some teeth are so severely stained or yellowed that even professional teeth whitening does not produce the desired results. Porcelain veneers can give you a dramatically whiter smile regardless of how discolored your teeth are.
- Minor Chips: Teeth with mild chipping can be easily repaired with porcelain veneers.
- Mild Cracks or Fractures: Small cracks or fractures can be repaired with porcelain veneers.
- Irregularly Shaped Teeth: Teeth that are misshaped or irregular can be masked with porcelain veneers. Veneers are customized and can be made to the desired shape and size to give you a uniform smile.
- Gaps between Teeth: Gaps between teeth can be closed with porcelain veneers.
- Mild Wear: Over time, teeth grinding or malocclusion can wear the biting surface of the teeth down. For those who are beginning to notice wear or erosion, porcelain veneers offer a solution to restoring the shape of the teeth.
- Mild Crookedness: Porcelain veneers are sometimes called instant orthodontics because they can be used to create an even, straight smile in as little as one or two dental visits.
Am I a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers can repair and improve many conditions, but they are not suitable for everyone. Candidates for porcelain veneers should have generally healthy teeth and gums. The state of the teeth is important because a small amount of enamel must be removed to allow room for the veneer to fit on the tooth. Also, the tooth has to be healthy enough to support the veneer. Fortunately, there are other options available to those that may not be candidates for veneers. Dental crowns are a great solution for those with severe damage. Crowns are used to restore the strength and appearance of damaged teeth by completely encasing the tooth. There are also treatments for replacing missing teeth. For our patients in Troy, dental implants are a popular option for replacing missing teeth.
Improve Your Smile with Our Treatment Options.
Porcelain veneers are just one of the many treatment options we offer. Schedule a consultation with us today to see which treatments are best for you. Our experienced dentist will examine the health of your teeth and gums, and then formulate the most appropriate treatment plan.